Recent Posts

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Project Freedom (RVFF #12)

What is Random Vocabulary Flash Fiction (RVFF)? I blindly select a vocabulary word from Word Smart, and write a flash fiction story using that word. Flash fiction means it's short - you can read it in a flash. Click here to read my rules.

Today's word: Profligate (PRAHF luh git) - 1. extravagantly wasteful 2. wildly immoral


Project Freedom (RVFF #12)

Looking at the group of prostitutes, Dr. Pate wondered if he’d made the right decision. The quiet one seated next to him placed her hand on his thigh and licked his ear while the others hooted vulgarities and made obscene gestures. This profligate group of women were the most violent at the prison – prostitution was the least of their crimes.

“Come sit next to me, Doc.” Cookie said. “I left my butcher knife at home. ‘Sides, I couldn’t hurt a pretty boy like you.” The group howled, while Cookie danced around them slapping high-fives.

The psychological surveys he’d brought with him suddenly seemed ridiculous in this setting, and he needed to gain control. He gazed out the window where an unintentional cross had formed along the fence line.

“Ladies.” Dr. Pate stood. “Do you want to be freed?”

The women continued to talk over him. He looked at the cross.

“Ladies! I can help you get out of your prison.”

The room became quiet, and Dr. Pate had their attention.

Word count = 170

1 comments :

  1. James Lindquist said...

    I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I choose to believe that they all came to the Lord because HE is no respecter of persons. Remember the profligate woman in John 8:11? He forgave her and sent her on her way. What HE did for her, HE will do for all the profligacy in that cell block.

    Good story and good word. I'd give it a 9.3.