Recent Posts

Sunday, November 06, 2011

Write Every Day: Writer's Leap 366 (#6)

Lesson 6: Write every day.

If I miss a day of writing, it's that much easier to miss another day of writing . . . and another . . . and another. And when I miss even one day, the connection to my story--especially when I'm writing a lengthy project like a screenplay or a novel--becomes static.

When the movement slows, it's harder to get back into the world of my story. I have to review my character biographies to rebond with my characters. I have to skim prior chapters to refresh my memory.

The easiest way to not waste precious writing time and to keep your story real in your mind, is to create a block of writing time every day.

My most productive block of time is in the morning. If I don't get a good chunk of writing done between nine and noon, I'm likely to get no writing done because the day grabs onto me and turns my attention elsewhere. And oftentimes, if I've spent my designated three-hour block writing, I'll continue writing into the afternoon because I have a hard time stopping once I get moving.

Maybe your block of time is from nine to eleven at night. Maybe your life circumstances don't even allow you two hours--maybe it's one hour or maybe only thirty minutes a day. But whatever your circumstances, if you read my last blog post and you've decided to "Get Serious" about writing, your next step should be to dedicate time every day to the craft you love.

Visit me tomorrow for another Writer's Leap 366 lesson.

1 comments :

  1. Jen said...

    Thank you! In just the few days I have allowed myself to take a break from revsing my novel to focus on my contest judging responsibilities I am losing touch with my characters and plot. Fortunately I think I foresaw this and read all the contest entries in 3 days instead of the 2 weeks we were allowed. So now I can get back to my own work.