Recent Posts

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Write Everything: Writer's Leap 366 (Lesson 3)

After my last post, "Start Small, End Big," you might be saying, Shoot, Karen, I'd be happy to start small if I only knew what to write in the first place. Well it's a good thing you stopped by today because I have an answer for you.

Lesson 3: Write everything and anything.

Yes, everything . . . and anything. Are you a stay-at-home mom? Write about it. Are you a stay-at-home mom who likes to make your own soap? Write about both of those things. Are you a stay-at-home mom who likes to make your own soap and sell it at your neighborhood swingers' club (and I'm not talking playground swings here)? Write about all three of these things--though you might want to write about the neighborhood swingers' club under a pseudonym or risk losing your cub scout den-leader mom status.

Then pick up a current Writers Market Guide and search for publications that print what you write. I guarantee you there's a market for every topic I listed above and countless more. If you're good at it (cleaning toilets, selling used books online, changing brake pads, getting your children to do their homework, . . .), there's a market for it.

Maybe you're good at being imaginative and you want to write short fiction. What would make a better short story than a stay-at-home, cub scout den mom who makes soap and sells it at her neighborhood swingers' club? 

So, write it all, and start submitting.

Visit me tomorrow for the next Writer's Leap 366 lesson.

0 comments :